Tampere constitutes the northernmost point of the triangle formed by Finland’s three major cities: Tampere, Helsinki and Turku.
It is within easy reach: less than two hours by train or by car from both coastal cities and even more conveniently accessible by air, thanks to Tampere’s good flight connections. It is easy to come to Tampere from all over Finland – 2/3 of Finns live within 160 km radius of Tampere.
Tampere is located in Southern Finland some 170 km north-west of Helsinki, capital of the country. Both domestic and international travel connections to Tampere are excellent. The city is within easy reach by air, by land and in summer, even by water!
In Tampere, most hotels and attractions are within walking distance from each other and easy to reach. In case you don’t want to walk, Tampere public transportation takes you where ever you want go within the region. Jump on a local bus, or tram, and explore the city!
Fly to Tampere
airBaltic is the official European Masters Games 2023. Check for early bird offer.
Tampere is easily accessible by air via its European route network with airBaltic, Finnair and Ryanair. Also Tampere is especially a Home City to airBaltic
During the summer 2023 there are direct routes with excellent connectivity from several cities:
- Air Baltic will start direct flights from Tampere-Pirkkala to Nice And Milan in May. Both destinations can be reached from Tampere twice a week. Flights are operated with Airbus A220-300 planes.
- Daily direct flights from Amsterdam Schiphol. Operated by airBaltic in codeshare with KLM. Excellent connectivity in KLM network to/from Asia and all Europe.
- Daily direct flights from Riga, Latvia. Excellent connectivity in airBaltic network all over the Europe.
- airBaltic: www.airbaltic.com
- Direct flights from Munchen, Germany. 3 times a week; Monday, Thursday and Friday. Operated by airBaltic in codeshare with Lufthansa.
- Direct flights from Copenhagen, Denmark. 3 times a week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Operated by airBaltic in codeshare with SAS.
- Direct flights from Malaga, Spain. 2 times a week; Thursday and Sunday. Operated by airBaltic
- airBaltic: www.airbaltic.com
- Direct Rhodos will come (information later)
- Direct flights from London Stansted, UK. 2 times a week; Tuesday and Saturday. Operated by Ryanair.
- Ryanair: www.ryanair.com
- Direct flights from Helsinki, Finland. Daily. Operated by Finnair and offering connectivity to/from Finnair network in Europe.
- Finnair: www.finnair.com
- Note; only late evening flight is operated by air. Afternoon flight with Finnair is operated by bus between Helsinki Airport – Tampere vv.
- Direct flights from Stockholm Arlanda, Sweden operated by SAS during MAY2023 are under negotiations and information delivered later.
To and from the airport
Bus connections between Tampere-Pirkkala Airport and the city centre
The city bus operates between Terminal 1 and the city centre. The bus goes via railway station, the east end of Hämeenkatu, Koskipuisto and bus station. Check the timetable here.
Taxi to or from the airport
At the airport, there is a taxi rank in front of Terminal 1 and a free phone for calling a taxi in case there are no taxis available. The trip to/from the centre costs approximately 50 euros, somewhat more at weekend and night.
To Tampere by Train
Tampere is easily accessible by train from all over Finland (1,5 h from Helsinki). You can catch the train from Helsinki airportto Tampere via Tikkurila station.
There are good connections all over the city from the Tampere railway station.
You can catch the local buses from Hämeenkatu (main street) and Rautatienkatu streets, and there’s also a taxi rank in front of the station building.
You can take a taxi from the railway station to Tampere-Pirkkala Airport. The city busopens in a new tab operates between the Airport (Terminal 1) and the city centre. The route goes past the Railway station, the east end of Hämeenkatu, Koskipuisto and the bus station.
To Tampere by Bus
Tampere is within easy reach by bus, and the bus connections within the city are versatile.
The long-distance coaches operate from the Tampere bus station, address Hatanpään valtatie 5-7.
Also Onnibus operates from Tampere – you can find information about the routes and timetables from hereopens in a new tab.
The city busopens in a new tab operates between the Airport (Terminal 1) and the city centre. The route goes past the Railway station, the east end of Hämeenkatu, Koskipuisto and the bus station.
Oy Matkahuolto Ab provides bus and coach services in Finland. Get updated information about how to get to Tampere by bus.
Local buses and tram in Tampere
Tampere Regional Transportopens in a new tab offers a good route network in Tampere and the surrounding cities. It’s possible to buy a day ticketopens in a new tab for 24 hours or more. For more information about the tickets, timetables and routes visit the public transportation customer service at Frenckellinaukio 2 B, right next to Keskustori central square.Public transportation in City of Tampere is free for EMG participants.
The official car rental partner of the Games is Europe’s leading car rental company, Europcar.
When renting a car, event guests and organizers will enjoy a substantial –15 % discount. Check out more.
Tampere by car
Capacities of parking garages near Nokia Arena:
There are several companies in Tampere offering taxi services:
Taksi Tampere is the biggest taxi operator in the Pirkanmaa region. The taxi center serves on a 24/7 basis. Taksi Tampere has a diverse range of offerings including transport, corporate and courier services. The company also has experience and capabilities for a wide range of services for special groups.
Liuttu Logistics is a company offering quality logistic services that combine both person and parcel transport. The company is specialized both in person and parcel transportation all the way from taxi and charter services to regular and single parcel deliveries. Liuttu Logistics customer service serves around the clock, seven days a week.
02 Taksi is the fast and easy way to order a cab. We help you find and compare ride offers from trusted taxi companies, so you can choose the one that’s best for your needs.